J.E.A.D.I. Initiatives What is JEADI?
Through a focus on JEADI, we hold ourselves accountable to create antiracist education and build institutions that center the success and wellbeing of those groups who are our growing American majority. This work requires that we move beyond performative allyship to become real champions for justice for historically marginalized communities at our universities. A few practical strategies that we are pursuing at UNM, led by President Garnett Stokes, and that are supported by the Division for Equity and Inclusion, include:
- Learn from our peer institutions
- Listen to BIPOC, PWD, LGBTQIA, & all women students, faculty and staff
- Empower JEADI offices (including college- and unit-level colleagues)
- Integrate JEADI strategic planning efforts at all levels (do not silo JEADI efforts)
- Model importance of DEAI: making our values matter