Let’s Build a Windmill to Harness the Wind!
University of New Mexico Mini-Windmill Competition to be held for Freshman Convocation in August
Objective: Help the campus community to become aware of the fabulous book we will be reading for the 2012-2013 school year.
- Must be a UNM student (Freshman-Senior)
- Must have a group of 2-4 members
- Must attend a short workshop on how to build a great windmill- ECE professor will be assigned
- Windmill can be no more than 3 feet tall and must be operational
As a campus community that will be actively reading this book for the next two semesters, it is important to draw on the
encouragement of the author’s accomplishments and hardships that went into creating a sustainable energy instrument. While building your windmill, reflect upon the ideas that the author had and what you admire most about book and what has inspired you to take part in this competition.
- Your windmill must be made out of recycled material
- Your windmill must be structurally sound and must operate when a fan (i.e. wind) is applied to it. Windmill
- will be attached to a bank of lights that will indicate how much energy the windmill will produce (i.e. the more lights, the more energy).
Windmills will be displayed in the SUB Ballroom during Freshman week! Come and see the competition!
Who Wins and How?
To determine the winners of the competition the following will be considered:
b. Amount of Energy produced
c. Structure of windmill
1st Prize- $500
2nd Prize- $300
3rd Prize- $200
Direct questions to Jennifer Gomez Chavez 505.277.7763